Some of the popular sports in Nepal include:
- Football: Also known as soccer, football is one of the most popular sports in Nepal. The sport has a rich history in the country and is played by people of all ages and genders. The Nepali national football team, also known as the “All Whites,” is governed by the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) and is a member of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF).
- Cricket: Cricket is also a popular sport in Nepal. The Nepali national cricket team has been competing in international matches since 1996. The team is governed by the Cricket Association of Nepal and is an associate member of the International Cricket Council. Nepal has made significant progress in recent years, and has gained One Day International (ODI) status.
- Volleyball: Volleyball is a popular sport in Nepal, with a history that dates back to the mid-20th century. The sport is governed by the Volleyball Association of Nepal (VAN) and is a member of the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC).
- Basketball: Basketball is a popular sport in Nepal, particularly among the youth. The Nepali national basketball team has competed in various international tournaments.
- Hiking and Mountaineering: Nepal is known for its natural beauty, including the Himalayas, and thus, Hiking and mountaineering are also popular sports in Nepal. Many trekkers and mountaineers from around the world come to Nepal to experience the adventure and the beauty of the mountains.
- Martial Arts: Martial arts such as Kung Fu, Karate, Judo, and Taekwondo are also popular sports in Nepal. There are many martial arts schools and clubs in Nepal where people can learn and train in various martial arts.